The Building




This 150,000 sq. ft. office building, located in Old Montreal, was built between 1903 and 1906 by Hutchinson and Wood. The recent renovation and restoration has resulted in an elegantly detailed office building with modern systems, which complements a beautiful historic exterior.

The renovation and restoration project incorporated extensive transformations into the pre-existing structure of the Canada Steamship Lines building.

Some of these changes involved the selective demolition of floor and exterior wall sections, permitting the propagation of daylight into the core of the building. The lower two levels have also been given new life with the introduction of retail businesses.

A generous, yet intimate lobby was constructed, along with a new bank of elevators, public washrooms and exit stairs. Easy access was part of the new construction and finally, an additional floor was built onto the roof of the pre-existing structure. Enhanced technological systems were installed, consisting of new mechanical, electrical, safety and building security systems.

In addition, all exterior load-bearing masonry was cleaned and restored in order to preserve the essence and original character of this Renaissance-style building.