Our History

The Canada Steamship Lines building was originally constructed in 1875 by Greenshields and Sons Co. Renovations took place in 1899, leading to the building's use as a warehouse for Greenshields's business in the wholesale of dried goods.

Subsequent changes were made to the vertical depth of the building in 1906-07.

Purchased in 1979 by the Canada Steamship Lines Company, the building retained its general structure until its eventual acquisition by the Power Corporation in 1971, of which Square Victoria Immobilier is a direct division.

The architects at Arcop initiated their plans, aiming to provide modern, efficient office space inside the building. The resulting design is now renowned for its exceptional use of windows. The south side of the Canada Steamship Lines building, facing la ruelle des Fortifications, is furnished with large bay windows, while interior offices benefit from natural light, emanating from a vast central skylight.

These renovations began in 1987, ending in 1991, and included the addition of an eighth floor, constructed in 1989.

At the turn of the 20th century, the area surrounding the building was considered a major international trade center. To this day, Square Victoria remains an important trade center in Montréal and is now known as "Le Quartier International".

The building has maintained its historical facade, while incorporating highly sophisticated offices and innovative architectural design to meet the administrative needs of any regional or international company.